Find out how to use the Signal Insights dashboard.
Click here to jump to the next section on using the Signal Insights.
About the tool and getting started
What is Signal Insights?
Signal Insights is a dashboard within the Sovrn Platform to help publishers understand their ad performance. The dashboard focuses on the key metrics that buyers use to assess inventory quality, including viewability, engaged time and click rate at a granular level.
What does this enable me to do?
As a publisher, Signal Insights will enable you to better understand how buyers are valuing your ad inventory, identify trends and spot problems.
What are the key benefits?
- See important ad quality metrics; viewability, engaged time and click rate, in one place.
- Breakdown ad performance by day, device, and ad unit.
- Easily identify trends and spot problems to help optimize revenue.
- Available through one, easy Signal integration.
How does this differ from other tools?
Signal Insights allows you to view your key ad quality metrics and spot any issues all in one simple view, rather than having to manually pull and aggregate this data from multiple sources.
How do I get access to Signal Insights?
- For existing Signal customers, no additional set up is required on your side. The Signal Insights page can be found within the Signal tab in your Sovrn Platform account here, where you can start viewing this data straightaway.
- For customers new to Signal, a free version of Signal Insights is available when you implement the Signal tag on your page. Reach out to your Sovrn representative to get started.
Using the tool
What are the ad performance metrics available to me?
There are currently four metrics available in Signal Insights. In the dashboard, you can see your scores for the metrics below, compared to a previous time period:
- Viewability: % of measured impressions that were viewable, according to IAB standards.
- Impressions: Number of impressions measured by Signal.
- Engaged time: average time in seconds that impressions were engaged with.
- Click rate: % of measured impressions that a user has clicked on.
How does Signal calculate engaged time?
To measure whether the user is engaged with the page, Signal tracks 45 different events around mouse movement, touch, scrolling etc. that show the user is interacting with the page. Signal then counts the amount of time in seconds these user events are taking place to determine engaged time. Find out more in the blog post.
How does Signal calculate click rate?
To measure whether a user has clicked on an ad, Signal tracks whether a user has clicked within the iframe of that ad impression, and then if that page is no longer in focus.
What filters are available to understand my ad performance on a more granular level?
You are able to filter your ad performance data by:
- Individual domain(s)
- Time frame
- Ad Unit (based on the Google Ad Manager ad unit path).
Are there any more metrics and/or filters coming soon?
We are currently taking feedback on what other metrics and filters would be valuable for publishers to help understand their ad performance. If you have any requests or feedback, please fill out this survey.
Where is my ad performance data coming from?
All data is collected directly from your pages and display advertising by Signal.
Can I opt-out of my data being collected?
Please reach out to your Sovrn representative to discuss your data options.
Some of my domains are not listed in the dashboard, why is that?
Domains where Signal is seeing a very small amount of traffic are filtered from the Signal dashboards.
How often does data get updated?
Data is updated daily by 9am UTC for the previous day.
If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact your Sovrn representative.